Monday, July 15, 2013

Hoosier in Taiwan



It feels like a mist has seeped in through my ears and sullied my brain. I hazily move from day to day, savoring the familiar. My motivation to excel wanes in and out, while daily activities seem to take on an anxious energy both invigorating and defeating. Such is the mind of a man who is leaving his homeland.

August 12th, I will be traveling to Tamang University, a high school in Danshui, Taiwan.  I will be teaching English literature, writing, speaking/listening, and drama. All of my classes will be held in English and there is no requirement for me to know Mandarin. In fact, I am the only one of my group that has studied it more than a semester...

I've already bought the ticket. I will land in New Taipei City, the largest metropolitan city on the island. The city is larger than Indianapolis, in a country smaller than Illinois. While it is far away, I have heard repetitively that Taiwan serves as an intermediary country for people interested in doing business with the east, particularly China. In this manner it will be the same as Indy, a crossroads, a junction between two worlds. But I expect there to be stark differences as well.

In my preparations I am making time to become reacquainted with Indianapolis. I visited the forth of July celebration downtown and saw the fireworks on Monument Circle. I went north to visit the restaurants on 86th street. I visited my brother in Greenwood. I plan to drive I-465 in its entirety before I leave. Not go anywhere, just circle the city. My city. If there is anything else "Hoosier" I should do before I leave, please let me know. I want to feel what it is like to be a Hoosier all the way, so when I leave, I will have a good baseline.

I will be a Hoosier in Taiwan. And I invite you to join me on my journey. Comment, write, share and read. It will be a fun experience that I hope to relate with you all.

Best,
Apelles Johnson
Writer

7 comments:

  1. I am eager to see your updates. Meanwhile, you can visit StarWars exhibition in Indy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Idea! That should be at the Indiana State Museum. Check it out!

      http://visitindy.com/indianapolis-star-wars-where-science-meets-imagination

      Delete
  2. Are you planning on having some State Fair food before you go? Cuz, c'mon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...Sounds like a great idea. you know what the fried thing of this fair is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why are you asking for the fried thing? Aren't there non-fried goodies at the Fair?

      Delete
    2. Because the fair is all about the fried things!

      Deep-fried twinkies, deep-fried oreos, bacon-wrapped chocolate, The Indianapolis State Fair is a place where the food is meant to taste the most delicious it can with no regard to nutrition, save a healthy spite for it.

      Hoosiers, back me up!

      Delete
    3. MMMMM, deep-fried twinkies and oreos sound great! Can't wait to try them :)

      Delete