Monday, September 30, 2013

Quick Update!


Hey everyone!

Quick update so that you all know that I am alive.

 

I am in fact alive.

The end….

But really, I got pretty sick this last week so I wasn’t able to do everything that I wanted to. I think I am going to officially make Saturdays the official update days so look for things to come out on your Saturday.

Two cool things happened since I’ve talked to you all last. Moon festival and Teacher’s day.

Moon Festival, or Mid-Autumn Festival, is the time of year where the moon is the largest in the sky. It is a great time for families and friends to get together and would be more of an equivalent to Thanksgiving or Christmas than what we consider a “festival”. It made me miss my family quite a bit, but I was able to hang out with some friends here.
 


Teacher’s day was meaningful and very much so needed. National Teacher’s day is a holiday where students honor their teachers for teaching them. It’s an amazing holiday and I will soon post pics of the awesome cards and gifts my students gave me.


Speaking of which, I have decided that the next full episode of Hoosier in Taiwan will be about Tamkang High school, the place where I currently work. I will be interviewing some administrators here, to talk about my job and the benefits of being at such a historic site. If I can get the clearance, I will also be recording some of the student’s habits as well.

School is a LOOOOOOOOOOOTTT different here and it may be a bit controversial at times, but it is nonetheless an amazing thing to be a part of. I would have posted it today, but the Moon Festival, teacher’s day, and some sort of flu thing I probably got from my students and the rapidly shifting temperature, prevented me from doing the shooting that I wanted to. I did complete my street walk of Old street and will be posting that this Saturday.


Again, thanks for sticking with me and I hope to hear from you all soon. !


Love,

Apelles Johnson

Hoosier in Taiwan.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome update! Glad to know yourrrrrrrr STILL ALIVE!!!! (sorry to much borderlands.lolz) Email me plz...when u get a chance... wanna talk to bout some stuffage. dagodpigeon@gmail.com Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Told you Borderlands was incredible. But yeah, thing are crazy. Writing monthly exams. I'll drop a line soon.

      Delete
  2. Apelles yooooo.. sorry for the late reply back im the worst with procrastination! Sounds like you have a lot of wonderful things happening. I would assume becoming sick is just your body adjusting to all the new thangs. Even if you didnt teach i bet your body would still have to hit that point sometime. Sounds like your students are enjoying your English wisdom. Im sure it was tough to get all of them and you on the same page. So congrats to that! The Moon Festival sounds like a wonderful idea to have a get together at home. Why not celebrate something so amazing with loved ones? The moon is the largest and its not happening in the winter so a outside party to view the moon sounds like a great idea to me!!!!! Hope to hear form you soon and keep up all the hard work!

    ReplyDelete